For many businesses, state and local taxes account for a large percentage of their overall tax liability. The current state and local tax environment presents a demanding set of challenges businesses must address. State taxing authorities are looking for ways to maximize tax revenue.
To successfully comply with state and local tax requirements and avoid scrutiny by state taxing authorities, it is important to accurately assess where your organization is conducting business, address the specific tax requirements within those states and comply with the corresponding state and local statutory and regulatory responsibilities. Knowledgeable and experienced state and local tax consulting can ensure your compliance with filing requirements and identify credits and incentives that can control your tax liability.
Our areas of expertise related to state and local sales & use tax include:
- Income tax
- Multi-state filings
- Nexus studies
- Apportion planning
- Voluntary disclosures
- Audit assistance
- State tax credits and incentives
- Gross receipts tax
- Net worth/franchise tax
- Sales and use tax
- Property tax
- Employment tax
- Abandoned and unclaimed property tax
Our state and local tax services team provides specific state tax consulting with nexus issues, organization structure and state apportionment, as outlined in the following examples:
- Nexus issues – help identify tax exposures and provide alternatives to fix/resolve them
- Organizational structure – review and adjust current operations to increase tax efficiencies and minimize state and local tax exposures
- State apportionment – apportionment formulas vary greatly among the states; review of the methodology and factors used; determine rules applicable to specific situations
The experienced state and local tax services professionals at Brown Smith Wallace offer a SALT review that can result in significant tax savings for your organization by identifying financial incentives and implementation of long-term strategies. Our state tax consulting provides our expertise and attention to detail that can help your organization save from several thousand dollars to over a million dollars.
For more information regarding your state and local tax compliance needs, please contact us today or read our case studies for more information.